Resort village, neighbourhood improvement area, gentrification — at one time or another, Toronto’s Parkdale has been home to it all. Though the west-end community, which became a municipality of its own in 1879 and was amalgamated into the City a decade later, has mostly been untouched by the condo development unfolding in other corners of the city, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t undergone drastic, noticeable change.

Once marred by drug busts and violent crime, the neighbourhood bounded by railway tracks to the north, Dufferin Street to the east, Roncesvalles to the west, and Lake Ontario to the south, has drawn galleries and independent shops in more recent years, joining the existing Little Tibet and grittier remnants that linger.

To give a sense of how much Parkdale and nearby areas have changed over the last 100 years, we’ve compared historic photos of the area with recent shots by BuzzBuzzHome’s James Bombales as part of our continuing series of then-and-now photo tours, which also spans Liberty Village and Bloordale.

Queen St. W. and Gladstone looking east, 1916

Queen St. W. looking north towards Gladstone, 1949

Queen St. W., W. Of Simcoe St., looking e. from Noble St., 1954

Queen St. W., W. Of Simcoe St., n. side, looking e. from Brock Ave., 1918

Union Meat Market, Queen St. W., n.e. corner O’Hara Ave., 1890

Lansdowne Ave. looking north from Seaforth, 1950

Lansdowne Ave. looking south from Seaforth, 1946

Gardiner Expressway during construction looking w. from Dowling Ave., 1956

King St. W.looking w. from Wilson Park Road.

Queen St. W., looking e. from intersection with King St. W., 1953

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter