Photo: James Bombales
There is much to lament in the loss of Toronto’s historic buildings.
But there are also examples of architectural preservation to be found throughout the city, structures that have made their mark on the streetscape for a century or more, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
To highlight the heritage buildings that have escaped the wrecking ball, we’ve put together a photo tour showcasing everything from church parish renos to warehouse reconstructions. Check out photos by BuzzBuzzHome News’ James Bombales below.
The Lakeshore Condos/Former Loblaws Headquarters
Location: Bathurst Street at Lakeshore Blvd. W
The Loblaw Groceteria Company Building at 500 Lake Shore Boulevard West, built in 1927, is entering a new chapter in its history. Currently being taken down brick by brick, some portions will be reconstructed as part of The Lakeshore Condos by developer Concord Adex. Once complete, it’ll bring a touch of the Art Deco period to a glass-and-steel 876-unit community — and house a Loblaws grocery store.
Pinnacle Adelaide/Richard West House
Location: 104 John Street
It’s been quite a journey for the Richard West House, which today is the site of retail. Relocated from its former site at the corner of John and Adelaide streets while the Pinnacle on Adelaide condos were going up, the 19th-century digs were carefully taken to a new home just a ways down John Street by builder Pinnacle International. Check out photos of the move.
Location: 60 Atlantic Avenue
At one time an industrial site, the work going on at 60 Atlantic today is of a different nature. Current property owner Hullmark Developments enlisted Quadrangle Architects to take on a reno-expansion of the historic brick-and-mortar structure, and in November 2014 it relaunched as office and retail space. The structure, which dates back to the turn of the 20th century, gained some sleek modern additions along the way.
FIVE Condos/Rawlinson Cartage
Location: 5 St. Joseph Street
A Gothic Revival brick building that dates back to 1905 is transitioning from warehouse to entryway. Though much of the structure at 5 St. Joseph has been absorbed by FIVE Condos, a 48-storey tower from Graywood Developments Ltd. and MOD Developments Inc., the facade remains and will greet future residents once the community opens its doors later this year. A row of retail buildings has also been preserved.
St. James Cathedral Centre
Location: 65 Church Street
The architectsAlliance-led reimagining of St. James’ Parish House may seem a sharp departure from the adjacent cathedral’s Gothic Revival styling, but the firm played off of subtle elements to create fluidity. “The characteristic light, airy interiors of neo-Gothic architecture find modern expression in the highly transparent addition, which conducts daylight deep into the core of the renovated and expanded parish house,” according to the firm’s website.
The Grange/Art Gallery of Ontario
Location: 317 Dundas Street West
The Grange is one of the oldest buildings you’ll find in Toronto (though it narrowly missed out on our round up). Initially the opulent dwelling of one D’Arcy Boulton, who had it built in 1817, after staying in the family for a period, it became the Art Museum of Toronto’s first location. Since the early 1900s, however, it’s been tied to the Art Gallery of Ontario. Most recently, Frank Gehry provided the old manor with a striking backdrop of blue titanium and a coiled steel staircase through his dramatic AGO redesign.
Location: 1101 Bloor Street West
It’s not often that the words library and modern come up in the same sentence — even some atheneums’ computer labs are dated — but the latter applies to this century-old learning centre’s 2006-2009 renovation, spearheaded by Rounthwaite, Dick and Hadley Architects inc, Shoalts and Zaback, and ERA.
Bisha Hotel and Condos/George Crookshank House
Location: 56 Blue Jays Way
You could say the 19th-century George Crookshank House is undergoing a growth spurt. The squat brick heritage structure is now the base of the 44-storey Bisha Hotel and Residences by Lifetime Developments and INK Entertainment, due to open later this year.
East United Condos/Charles Brown and Co. Stables
Location: 95 Berkeley Street, Toronto
East United Condos, a 21-storey condo project from SigNature Communities, Berkshire Axis Development and Andiel Homes, isn’t expected to be complete until 2018, but one component has been around much longer. The Christie, Brown & Co. Stables, which was constructed in 1906, makes up part of the Podium for East United.
Location: 1 Yorkville Avenue
A short stretch of Victorian storefronts along the Mink Mile are being maintained as construction on 1 Yorkville, a condo from Bazis Inc. and Plaza, continues. When the 58-storey tower is complete, these historic shops will once again join the lux retail strip on the Bloor West streetscape.
New Broadview Hotel
Location: 106 Broadview Ave, Toronto, ON
Since the New Broadview House Hotel changed hands in 2014 and plans for redevelopment began to take shape, the rebranding has been subtle: it’s now simply called The New Broadview Hotel. But the building, most recently a boarding house and strip club, will likely serve very different needs soon, though Streetcar Developments has yet to reveal its future plans for the site.
King + Condos / National Hotel
Location: 37 Sherbourne Street, Toronto
The north and west facades of The National Hotel at King and Sherbourne, meanwhile, now anchor King + Condos by Plus Development Group and Terracomm Development. Originally, the plan had been to raze the site, but pushback led to an altered proposal.
Tip Top Lofts
Location: 637 Lake Shore Blvd W
Another example of architectsAlliance’s handiwork, the Tip Top Tailors Building — previously the centre of operations for the clothier it’s named after — was transformed into condos after conglomerate Dylex Limited sold the site in the early 2000s. The rechristened Tip Top Lofts condo development features original signage set askew and placed atop six additional storeys that gel with the original Art Deco design.
King Blue Condos/The Canadian Westinghouse Building
Location: 355 King Street W.
The Canadian Westinghouse Building is itself an example of incorporating an structure in a new design. Its top three storeys are actually 1934-1935 additions to the original three-storey warehouse, erected in 1927. Now, the narrative continues with construction of the 48-storey King Blue Condos; the Westinghouse’s facade will be a face of the Greenland Group condos’ podium.
QRC West/Weston’s Biscuit Factory
Location: 134 Peter Street
Like the former Christie factory earlier on this list, the red-brick building at 134 Peter Street’s days as Weston’s Biscuit Factory are long gone, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Once the production of sweets seized in the 1970s, the four-storey space hosted offices, and later on, night clubs. A recent redevelopment completed last year, incorporated the building — constructed in 1910 — into a 17-storey office tower.