canadian household spending

Photo: Eli Christman/Flickr

In 2013, Canadian households spent an average of $58,592 on goods and services – everything from food to clothing to housing. According to new data from Statistics Canada, that amount increased 4.1 per cent from 2012.

The budget breakdown for Canadians remains similar to 2012: among the major spending categories, 28 per cent went to shelter costs, a category that includes includes rent, mortgage payments, repairs, property taxes and utilities. Transportation followed, taking up 20.6 per cent of the total while food accounted for 13.6 per cent of goods and services spending.

Renters spent an average of $11,616 on shelter, or 29.5% of their goods and services budget, while home owners averaged at $18,669, or 27.6 per cent.

For a closer look at how spending differs, province-to-province, check out our interactive map and table:



Beyond the goods and services budget, households reported spending $79,012 in total in 2013, up 4.7 per cent from the year before. Goods and services made up 74.2 per cent of the total, while the remaining 25.8 per cent went to income taxes, pension contributions, insurance premiums and gifts of money. Total spending varies greatly among different income classes. Statistics Canada split the population into five equal income groups, with the lowest 20 per cent spending an average of $31,442 in 2013 and the highest $155,888. Looking at each percentile, it’s clear that the lower your income, the higher percentage of your total budget is spent on shelter costs. For more details, check out the chart below:

 

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter