Photo: Massey Knakal
The longtime home of the New York Gospel Mission at 149 Avenue B is being converted into a four-family building.
Located between East 9th and East 10th streets, the conversion site is across from Tompkins Square Park. The revamped five-story, 6,354-square-foot structure will have storage, a lobby and a duplex on the top floors, according to permits filed yesterday. Jeffrey Cole Architect is the architect of record. The developer is Florida-based Tompkins Square Holdings LLC.
The five-story plus cellar elevator building was owned for nearly 70 years by the New York Gospel Mission to the Jews, founded in 1895 by Dr. Bernard Angel. A graduate of a German rabbinical school, Angel converted to Christianity and directed Jewish outreach in the Lower East Side, according to the NYGM site. After Angel died in 1929, his daughter Ruth took over his work, and in 1944 the mission purchased the building at 149 Avenue B, naming it Angel Memorial House.
The building was gut-renovated in the mid-1990s and went on the market in October 2012 with an asking price of $5.5 million, according to EV Grieve. The 23′ by 93′ lot was marketed by Massey Knakal as “an excellent opportunity for either a user to convert to a single family or a boutique condo conversion.”
Tompkins Square Holdings LLC bought the concrete and steel property for $4.65 million in December 2012, according to public records. At the time of sale, the building had a first-floor auditorium, staff lounge and office space and two full-floor apartments on the top floors.