It’s always a pleasure to see a developer partner up with the local community, especially when the project involves preserving a historical landmark. Stanton Renaissance is carefully converting Hamilton’s historic James Street Baptist Church, situated at 98 James Street South, into The Connolly, a mixed-use project.
Built between 1878 and 1882, the church facade will be preserved and the space will be re-purposed and re-imagined as a 30-storey mixed-used building with retail, commercial, hotel and residential components.
As the project transitions, the developer wanted to ensure they weren’t entirely abandoning the old for the new. Part of the church since 1939, the enormous pipe organ was saved when Louie Santaguida, President of Stanton Renaissance, offered the instrument free to anyone willing to remove it. Northern Organs took him up on the offer and painstakingly removed the organ, pipe by pipe in January. The craved wood facade that surrounded the organ was taken by Historia Restorations and displayed at the historic Treble Hall.
Other artifacts from the structure have found homes across the city with fixtures going to Chuck’s Burger Bar and a sheet music cabinet fitting in at the HumblePie Shop. Gas Works, a non-profit serving at-risk youth, even received a piano, gratis.
The original pews were sold and the funds passed on to local charities and causes. Around Christmas, Stanton Renaissance donated funds to a child in the Hamilton Mountain area suffering from brain cancer as well as the Good Food box Program.
Even some of the stained glass windows are being salvaged! Check out some of the photos below:
The builder is working with the City of Hamilton to ensure the re-development works for the neighbourhood. The structure itself will feature a number of green features including geothermal and cogeneration technologies to provide heating and cooling.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or register at stantonrenaissance.com/hamilton.