The buildings, they are a-convertin’ in the Village. This week, we strolled by three buildings along a stretch of East 12th Street, all slated for residential projects. Check out the detailing while you can — après moi, les appartements.
37 East 12th Street
Address: 37 East 12th Street
Former life: Luxury antiques shop Kentshire Galleries opened at this location in the 1970s. It’s the type of place where one could, say, pick up a 21-inch standing globe made in 1815 for $125,000 or a 1720 Queen Anne walnut armchair for $48,000. Alas, we spied no such pieces when we dropped by the building; the storefront was bare except for several packed boxes.
Developer: 37 E. 12th Street Condominiums, an LLC affiliated with Edward J. Minskoff Equities. You might remember Minskoff from the ambitious office tower 51 Astor Place, which was built on spec.
Architect of record: Malcolm Kaye Architecture
Plans: The eight-story, 26,000-square-foot structure would remain the same size, according to the plan exam application filed this month. There will be about six apartments, with a duplex on the top.
Address: 809 Broadway
Former life: Blatt Billiards has been making custom pool tables here since 1943. The company also makes game room accessories, such as poker tables, cues and cue cases, dartboards, foosball, ping pong and casino equipment. Don’t panic, though — the firm moved to 330 West 38th Street, between Eighth and Ninth Avenue in Midtown, according to signage at the site.
Developer: IDM Capital struck a deal to buy the building from Blatt Billiards for $24 million in May 2013, The Real Deal reported.
Architect of record: ODA Architecture
Plans: The five-story building will be converted into a 15-story mixed-use project, complete with private storage, bike storage, a recreation room, gym, sauna and a dog-washing room. There will be offices on the second through eighth floors, with just three apartments on top — a full-floor unit on the ninth floor, capped by a duplex and a triplex.
17 East 12th Street
Address: 17 East 12th Street
Former life: Since the 1980s, the property has been operated as a parking facility by The Brauser Group, one of Manhattan’s big garage owners. In the 1800s, the site was home to the Foundling Asylum, which received and looked after babies abandoned by their families.
Developer: Rigby Asset Management, which acquired the 50,000-square-foot parking garage from Brauser for about $50.24 million. The sales price translated to more than $1,000 per square foot, the highest price ever paid for a condo conversion site, according to The Real Deal.
Architect of record: Bromley Caldari Architects
Plans: The 11-story project will consist of nine full-floor units, with parking on the ground level, says the plan exam application from July 2013. A duplex will occupy the top two floors.