We’ve looked at how homes throughout Toronto have and haven’t changed in a previous post, so the natural next step was to comb through the Toronto Public Library’s Digital archives to see whether some of the most recognizable structures in the city have always looked as we know them today.

Below are seven archival pics of notable buildings and their current Google Street View updates.

spadina

Not much has changed at the corner of Spadina and King, which was home to a hotel and a dining destination known as the Cabana Room in 1954.

Spadina hostel

Image: GMAP

The buildings today, now home to a hostel.

tiptoptailors

The Tip-Top Tailors factory, seen here in 1930, just southwest of Bathurst and Lake Shore Boulevard West.

Tip-Top Lofts

Image: GMAP

The building today, six floors taller and home to lofts.

branthouse king

Well before King West was known for its night life, it was a hub for humble factories. Gurney (E. & C.) Stove Manufacturers can be seen in this photo of King Street West near Brant Street dating back to 1870.

King West

Image: GMAP

The building on a very different King Street West today.

christie factory

A 1902 lithograph of the Christie cookie factory at Adelaide Street East and George Street.

Christie factory George Brown College

Image: GMAP

Today, the factory is the handsome home of George Brown College.

gladstonehotel

The Gladstone Hotel, just east of Dufferin and Queen Street West, was built in 1889 across from a major railroad station. Here it is in 1952.

Gladstone Hotel Toronto

Image: GMAP

The hotel/event space today.

broadview hotel

The Broadview Hotel at Queen Street East and Broadview, in 1954, looking very much like the east end equivalent of the Gladstone. It was originally an office building, back when it was built in 1893.

Jilly's Queen St E

Image: GMAP

Though it mirrors the Gladstone’s red brick and sandstone exterior, the site hasn’t gone upscale like its western twin. The northwest corner of Queen and Broadview is home to Jilly’s, the “finest in adult entertainment.”

library toronto

The building at St. George and College was built in 1909 and acted as the central reference branch of the Toronto Public Library until 1977 when it was relocated to Yonge and Bloor.

Koffler Centre UofT

Image: GMAP

The building was bought by the University of Toronto and converted into the Koffler Student Centre, named after Murray Koffler, the founder of Shoppers Drug Mart.

Developments featured in this article

More Like This

Facebook Chatter