The list, released on September 17th, saw Absolute World take the coveted top spot, ahead of 10 other impressive buildings located in cities like Istanbul, Guangzhou, Doha and Abu Dhabi. The towers were chosen by an international jury from a pool of over 300 skyscrapers.
Designed by MAD architects and Burka Architects Inc., the 56 storey, twin residential towers in the bustling city just west of Toronto have attracted plenty of attention abroad including a prize from the prestigious Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
Calgary’s The Bow was the only other Canadian entry on the list. The 770-foot office tower landed at number four on the Emporis list.
Here’s a look at all the buildings that made the cut:
9. (Tie) Zhengzhou Greenland Plaza, Zhengzhou, China
9. (Tie) Dumankaya Ikon, Istanbul, Turkey
8. Unicredit Tower, Milan, Italy
7. Varyap Meridian, Istanbul, Turkey
Photo: Skyscraper City
6. Pearl River Tower, Guangzhou, China
5. House On Mosfilmovskaya, Moscow, Russia
Photo: Sergey Skuratov Architects
4. The Bow, Calgary, Canada
3. Burj Qatar, Doha, Qatar
Photo: Doha Sam/Flickr
2. Al Bahr Towers, Abu Dhabi, UAE
And, what you’ve all been waiting for…
1. Absolute World, Mississauga, Canada
Photo: Magic Ketchup/Flickr
Primary image: Friscocali/Flickr