Yonge may be the world’s longest street and Bloor is famous for the glitzy mink mile, but other thoroughfares such as St. Clair have long histories of their own.
The east to west street has been in the public eye for the last few years, largely because of the streetcar right-of-way and new developments moving westward into the neighbourhood. Now that the Wychwood Barns, a former streetcar maintenance facility off of St. Clair and Christie, is celebrating its 100th birthday, we figured it would be the perfect time to look back at the street’s history.
Heydon House hotel, at the northwest corner of Old Weston Road and St. Clair Avenue West in 1955.
The Stockyards at Keele and St. Clair Ave. W., also in 1955.
The CPR Runnymede Yards and roundhouse, looking west along St. Clair from Runnymede Road. Back in 1957, the area was much more industrial.
Check out the old streetcar on St. Clair, looking east at Warren Road, in 1952.
Hillcrest Village is still known for its mom and pop shops today. Not too much has changed. Here’s St. Clair looking east from Lauder Avenue in 1953.
The Deer Park library, just east of Yonge Street, in 1952. The community spot is still around today though the neighbourhood has intensified considerably.
Want to see what’s happening in the community today? The Rockport Group‘s The Nest, with design by RAW, is giving the Hillcrest Village area a major stylistic update. Learn more about the development here.
All photos from the Toronto Public Library’s digital archive.