A former convent in Kips Bay is being converted to a six-story, 16-unit rooming house.
Located between Lexington and Third avenues, the four-story building at 134 East 28th Street will get a two-floor addition, according to a plan exam application filed September 23rd. The architect of record is TarLan Design Build, LLC, and the new 4,775-square-foot development will have outdoor recreation space on the roof.
The 1910 walk-up building has been owned by The Order of Saint Helena since 1979, according to public records. The convent of the Episcopal Church sold the property for $2.6 million to Friedman Family Holdings LLC in March, DNAinfo reported.
The ground floor of the existing structure contains office space which is duplexed with the basement and leads into the rear garden, and the second floor is a “loft-life space” with a kitchen and outdoor patio, according to the Massey Knakal listing. Bedrooms and bathrooms are on the third to fourth floors.
Photo: Massey Knakal