The landmarked George S. Bowdoin Stable at 149 East 38th Street measures 7,400 square feet and was originally built in 1902 for real estate developer William Martin. The three-story Dutch Revival building takes its name from the second owner, George Bowdoin, who snapped it up in 1907.
The townhouse was listed by Mobius Realty in 2011, originally asking $13.99 million, and then by Sotheby’s International Realty this year for $9.3 million, according to The Real Deal. The property currently is home to the Gabarron Foundation Carriage House Center for the Arts, which promotes American and Spanish artists.
The facade keeps the original design, with fairy-tale detailing such as sculpted horse heads above the first story and the visage of a bulldog on top of the gable. The ground floor has a reception and gallery area with lofty ceilings, and the second floor features additional gallery space, along with a chef’s kitchen. The property is zoned for residential use and can accommodate a private garage.