May 30, 2010
Tough economic times call for tough decisions. Trying to save a buck, or roughly 6% of your home price, by not using an agent may sound like a great decision, however according to Tara Struyk in Forbes, there are five things you should consider.
The article is very long, so if you have the time read it here, but for the rest of the world, find the five main points below with some comments by BuzzBuzzHome in italics:
1. Better Access / More Convenience – It is their job! They know where to look, and what to do. But, don’t forget that there are multiple sites for you to do your research on your own, such as Zoocasa, Homezilla, BuzzBuzzHome…etc..
2. Negotiating Is Tricky Business – What do you do for a living? Do you spend your days and nights negotiating deals? A good real-estate agent does, so leave it to them. Just remember that a difference in $10k or $20k doesn’t make much of a difference to an agent, so be aware!
3. Contracts Can Be Hard To Handle – Fine. But, I think a lawyer does this better!
4. Real Estate Agents Can’t Lie – Huh?! Not sure that I understand this one.
5. Not Everyone Can Save Money – Interesting… Seems that the point here is that if you sell the property yourself at a comparable price to your competition, and if they are using an agent, then you can get an extra 6%.